Saturday, Jan 11, 2020 | 3:00pm - 5:00pm
562 Camp Horne Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
For Brownie Troops. Troops of animal-loving Brownies are invited to Animal Friends to complete steps towards earning the “Pets” Badge. (The troop leaders will provide the actual “Pets” Badge. We will provide an Animal Friends’ fun patch.)
Step 1: Pet Bingo* *We will not be playing the pet bingo game during the event as we do not house six of the pictured animals. Troops should play the bingo game at their meetings. But for more information about how much it costs to care for a dog, cat, and rabbit, please click here.
Step 2: Make a cozy sleeping space for a pet. During the guided tour you will see the cozy places where our dogs, cats, and rabbits sleep. We also request that each troop work together in advance to create at least one fleece blanket for our animals using the directions found here and bring it with them to the event.
Step 3: Find out how to keep different pets looking good. Learn about how often dogs, cats, and rabbits have to be washed or brushed and other special care tips.
Step 4: Make a pet feel loved. What are ways to pet dogs, cats, and rabbits to make them feel loved? Why don’t dogs like hugs? What does it mean when a cat swishes her tail? Why was Thumper a good name for the rabbit from Bambi? We’ll learn about how these pets communicate their feelings. Then we’ll play animal charades.
Step 5: Make a pet budget for two pets. We’ll figure out how much it costs to feed a dog and cat for a month. Note: While page seven of the “Pets” Badge guidelines mentions making tasty pet treats, please note that we are no longer accepting homemade treats for the animals at Animal Friends.
Tuition: $8 per Brownie and at least one troop-made blanked (see Step 2 above) per troop.
- This event is not appropriate for Brownies who are allergic to or afraid of dogs, cats, or rabbits.
- Our photographer may be taking photos at the event. Troop leaders should make troop parents aware of Animal Friends’ policy* regarding event photos. *Please be aware that your entrance to Animal Friends at this event serves as your voluntary agreement to appear onscreen or in print as part of this or any other related media or promotions, in perpetuity.
- Complete payment must be received to secure a troop reservation. Once a payment has been made, additional scouts may not be added to a troop’s headcount.
- Refunds will be made for scouts who cannot attend if requests for refunds are made to Donna Klingelhofer by the refund deadline listed below.
- If you have questions about this event, please email Donna at DKlingelhofer@ThinkingOutsideTheCage.org.
At the Event:
- Space is limited. No Daisies, Junior Girl Scouts or siblings may attend.
- Each group should have at least two chaperones but no more than four.
- Parking is limited. Please carpool.
- Troops should not enter the building before 2:40 p.m. as dog training classes will be concluding and we would like the dogs to exit before the children enter. Check-in will be held between 2:40 and 2:55. Troops arriving before 2:40 are asked to please wait in their vehicles.
Reservation deadline: Thursday, Jan. 2 by 5 p.m.
Deadline to request refunds: Tuesday, Jan. 7 by 5 p.m.
If Animal Friends is closed due to inclement weather on Jan. 11, the make-up day will be Feb. 1.