We appreciate students who want to help the animals. And, we enjoy meeting kids of all ages who love animals as much as we do! At Animal Friends, there are many ways you can get involved by helping the animals.
We gladly welcome monetary donations from children’s groups! And for every $75 raised your group can have the opportunity to name one of our shelter residents. Contact Dana Schultz, Education Coordinator to learn more.
Kids and Teens
Kids and teens who want to help the animals can make an impact! Below are some ways you can get involved at Animal Friends and support the dogs, cats and rabbits in our care.
- Distribute issues of the Petsburgh Magazine in your community. Please ask for permission before leaving them with your local veterinarian, groomer, library or other business. Our magazine is published four times each year, and you can pick up a bundle in our lobby.
- Organize a school or community supply drive. Click here for information about hosting a supply drive. Please note that we do not accept homemade treats.
- Make blankets for our dogs. Click here to learn how!
- Make toys for our cats. Click here to learn how!
- Enrich our rabbits’ lives. Click here to learn how!
- Fundraise for our animals. You can name an animal for every $75 raised via our Kind Kids program.
At Animal Friends, we love meeting students who complete community service or fundraising projects for the animals in our care. We encourage students to hold supply drives in honor of special occasions, Girl Scout Bronze Awards or just because they love animals!
Please note that Animal Friends no longer accepts homemade dog treats. Instead, please consider donating a box of Milk Bone dog biscuits for our canine residents to enjoy.
Donation Drop-off Appointments
Appointments can be made to drop off supply drive items or monetary gifts for groups of 12 children or fewer. Donation drop-offs last about 20-30 minutes and include a certificate, photo opportunity and a tour* of our Resource Center. To schedule an appointment, contact Dana Schultz, Education Coordinator, at least 3 weeks before you would like to drop off your donation.
Those who are having their photo taken should bring a complete photo consent form.
*Interactions with our shelter residents are not included in donation drop-off tours.
Groups of up to 30 children can register for a 60-90 minute tour that includes a dog safety lesson and hands-on time with a therapy dog. If upcoming registrations are closed, the group leader may drop off the donation or select up to 12 students to represent the group at a donation drop-off appointment.
Children who are not making a donation as part of a student group or troop can drop off donations and receive a certificate from the greeter in our lobby. No appointment is necessary. However, the family should submit an in-kind donation form to the greeter or submit monetary donations at our Retail Store.
Donations can be delivered during our regular operating hours:
Monday-Friday | 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Please note that all school groups or scout troops are required to have an advance reservation for their donation drop-off, tour or visit.
Teens can become official Animal Friends volunteers once they reach age 13. Parents and teens can click here for information about becoming a volunteer at Animal Friends.