Animal Friends is happy to offer service hours for those needing hour verifications for school, work or extra-curricular activities. After completing our Getting Started Orientation to become a volunteer, students will be eligible to serve under the following opportunities based on hours of service needed. Teens must be at least 13 years of age to participate in this program and meet the requirements listed at the link above.
One-Time Service Event (no orientation needed)
- Humane Helpers Program
- Interested in a one-time project to assist us with our lifesaving work? Check out the opportunities on our Humane Helpers page.
5 Hours or Less of Service
- Behavior Care Assistant – no training required
- Animal Friends cares for many animals, which means we often need assistance with dishwashing and laundry. Help us keep our animals well fed and clean by aiding our Behavior Care team as a volunteer assistant.
- Office Work – no training required
- Assist our Development and Communications teams with mailings, laminating, assembly, cutting, folding and more for our donors and clients. This is a great opportunity for those interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the organization!
10-25 Hours of Service
- Therapets Testing Support – no training required
- Help us certify new Therapets (therapy animals) by being a mock patient, client or student. Must be comfortable interacting with cats, dogs or rabbits during their certification training.
- Dog Socials – no training required
- Join us for a morning or afternoon of fun during our dog socials. Volunteers are needed to help with set up, dog management, cleaning up during and after the social as well as helping to escort guests to and from our designated dog potty areas.
- Event Assistance – some training may be required
- Interested in engaging with the community or participating in lifesaving opportunities? Join us for onsite and offsite events to help us raise money to support our residents and educate the public on our programs and outreach. Please note that some events may have age restrictions.
- Sarris Candy Seller – no training required
- Individuals who participate in our Sarris Candy Fundraiser will automatically receive 10 hours of service for their time selling candy.
- Non-Rabbit Handler BunRun Support – no rabbit experience or training required
- Interested in working with our bunnies? Sign up to assist us at BunRuns, where our rabbit residents spend quality time outside of their kennels. This activity takes place in one of our multipurpose rooms with several enrichment stations. Volunteers will socialize our residents during both public and private BunRuns and help clean up.
More Than 25 Hours of Service
- Teen Summer Camp Counselors – additional training required
- Join us for a summer of fun and help us educate young individuals about animal welfare during our summer camps. Teen counselors must commit to weekly sessions and be between the ages of 13-17. Teens will also receive training from Humane Education staff and attend classes to become an animal handler for one or more of our resident species.
- Chow Wagon Donation Sorting – some training may be required
- Animal Friends often receives generous donations of toys, food and other gently used items which may be used for our shelter residents or Clinic and Chow Wagon clients. Often, we need volunteers to assist us with sorting and transporting donations.
Interested in making a monthly commitment to the volunteer program? Check out the opportunities below! Please note that all opportunities listed above can also be performed by our long-term volunteers.
- Chow Wagon Pet Food Bank volunteer
- Animal Handling (with a parent/guardian if applicable)
- Cat Handlers must be 16 to volunteer independently
- Rabbit Handlers must be 16 to volunteer independently
- Dog Handlers must be 18 to volunteer independently
- Foster Program – must be done with parent/guardian
- And much more! Talk to our Volunteer team to see what opportunities may be right for you.
Questions? Contact our volunteer team.
Volunteering@ThinkingOutsideTheCage.org | 412.847.7053