Presentations at your preschool are designed specifically for students ages 4-5 and include:
- Dog safety lesson and dog interaction | 30 minutes
- Optional lesson on responsible pet care | 15 minutes
We can visit up to three classrooms with no more than 20 students per classroom. We must see a minimum of 15 students to travel to your preschool. All dogs who visit are certified through Animal Friends’ Therapets pet therapy program.
Our presentations meet Pennsylvania Academic Standards 10.2.3.A, 10.2.3.E, 10.3.3.A and 10.3.3.B.
Our presentation for grades K-8 includes an overview of how Animal Friends cares for homeless pets and lessons on dog safety, responsible pet care and pet body language.
All dogs who visit are certified through Animal Friends Therapets pet therapy program. One visiting dog can visit up to three classrooms per day for petting with no more than 25 students per classroom. Groups of 76 or more students can request an assembly.
Options for visits are below. But, we’re also happy to modify our visit in a way that works best for your students.
- Dog safety lesson and dog interaction (grades K-8) | 30 minutes
- Optional lesson on responsible pet care (grades K-2) | 15 minutes
- Optional lesson on pet body language (grades 2-8) | 15 minutes
- Powerpoint presentation for group of 25-75 students with small group petting opportunities (grades 1-8) | 45-60 minutes
- Powerpoint presentation for group of 76 or more students with volunteers from the audience petting the dog to demonstrate the lesson (grades 1-8) | 45 minutes
Guidelines for School Visits (grades K-8)
- Teachers must stay in the room to supervise the students during the presentation.
- We can visit individual classrooms or offer grade-level or school assemblies.
- We must see a minimum of 20 students to travel to your school.
Making a Reservation for a Presentation or Assembly During the School Year
Thank you for your interest in having Animal Friends visit your school.
Our schedule for spring 2019 school visits is full and we are no longer accepting invitations. However, we may have a few slots open for students in grades K-12 to visit Animal Friends for a field trip this spring. Please click here for more details.
We will begin taking reservations for the 2019-2020 school year in late August. Please check back to submit your request via this webpage.
Because we have a limited number of staff and volunteers available, we are typically unable to accommodate requests for specific dates. We ask you to please be flexible as we coordinate a date that works for both you and the presenter.
- We request at least a one-month notice to visit your school.
- Because we receive a large number of requests for school visits in April and May, requests must be submitted by March 31. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfill all requests for April or May.
- Tuition for presentations and assemblies during the school year is at least one item per student from our supply drive list.
- Additional monetary donations are welcome through our Kind Kids program. Student groups can name an animal for every $75 donated.
- Please note that our Humane Education team no longer attends health and safety fairs. All visits must be held indoors.
Virtual Field Trips
We are offering 15-30-minute virtual field trips for grades PreK-12. Students will enjoy a guided tour of our adoptable cats and rabbits, meet a featured adoptable animal via the monitor and participate in Q and A time. Virtual field trips are available from 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Please email Dana Schultz, Education Coordinator, at DSchultz@ThinkingOutsideTheCage.org to inquire about this new offering.
Making a Reservation for a Presentation or Assembly During the Summer
Thank you for your interest in having Animal Friends visit your summer program. While our off-site visits are free of charge during the school year (September through May), we charge tuition for visits during the summer (June through August).
Tuition for Humane Education visits during the summer of 2018:
- 20-50 students, 1-2 presentations (includes petting opportunity) | $50
- 51-75 students, 3 presentations (includes petting opportunity) | $75
- 76 or more students, 1 presentation (does not include petting opportunity) | $75
Tuition for presentations at your summer program should be paid one week in advance by credit card or check made payable to Animal Friends. Donations from our supply drive list are welcome but not required.
We will begin taking reservations for the summer of 2019 in early May. Please check back at that time for the link to submit your request. We are no longer accepting requests by email, phone or in person.
Our ability to visit other organizations’ summer programs is limited to the availability of our volunteers who are participating in Animal Friends’ on-site summer camp sessions. We will attempt to fulfill as many requests as possible. Thank you in advance for understanding that Animal Friends’ summer camp program must be our first priority.
We no longer attend health and safety fairs for humane education presentations. All summer visits must be held indoors.
We are hosting guided tours at Animal Friends on select weekdays this summer. Click here for details.