Skip to content
Pet Loss Advice;10 coping tips to help you and your children recover from the death of a beloved pet
- Give yourself permission to grieve. Denying these natural emotions can elevate stress and physical fatigue.
- Seek out friends and family members who share your compassion for animals. Focus more on their good intentions and not necessarily their words. Animal Friends is a great resource in this way.
- Dismiss and ignore comments from those who may trivialize your loss. They may never have had a pet or recognized the closeness of your friendship with your pet.
- Recognize that your departed pet is one-of-a-kind who can never be replaced. When you are ready to adopt a new pet, embrace that new pet for her uniqueness and avoid comparing her to your previous pet.
- Treat yourself well. Eat healthy meals and get ample sleep. This is often ignored.
- Fight through sad or blue moods by exercising. Physical activity raises endorphins and other feel-good hormones in your body. Take longer walks or bike rides, for example, in scenic areas.
- Avoid declarations such as, “I will never get another pet.” These statements hinder your healing process.
- Ritualize your pet’s death through a ceremony or memorial service. The greatest way to honor the memory of a pet is to learn how to become a better person for having them in your life. Please call Animal Friends about our Pet Remembrance services at 412.847.7031.
- Spend time recalling happy, silly, fond memories you shared with your pet. Consider writing a letter or poem to and from your departed pet. Getting words down on paper can sometimes help the grieving process.
“Great, clean facility and friendly staff!
– Christie B.
“Such a clean, organized and loving environment! Beautiful campus and a very well run organization.
– Kerry W.
“Thank you to everyone who helped us to find and adopt loving Jack ... can't recommend you guys more.”
“I unfortunately needed to contact them for an abuse case, they were professional, quick to respond and resolved the problem in less than 2 weeks, which was not an easy task. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
– Elaine W.
“All of the employees and volunteers are so dedicated to the welfare of the animals.
– Gail F.
“We had our daughter's 8th birthday party at Animal Friends today and it was awesome! The volunteers who helped were great with the kids and they had a lot planned for them to do. Definitely would recommend to someone needing a place to have a party!
– Jen Y.
“There are so many amazing things about Animal Friends! We are truly blessed with them.
– Sari’ah K.
“Efficient , kind and professional. Our Shepherd Avah was spayed and the doctors did an excellent job. She is healing well. I highly recommend Animal Friends for all your pet's needs.
– Linda B.
“We adopted our bunny Tarzan from Animal Friends one year ago today. Our Adoption Counselor was so helpful and he is the perfect fit for our family. I'd 100% adopt another pet from this wonderful shelter.
– Josie S.