Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Animal Friends! Last year, our volunteers contributed over 250,000 hours to our shelter and community. We couldn’t do it without you!
Selling Sarris candy for Animal Friends? Have family and friends click here to order their candy online! Please use group ID# 10-0375 and designate Animal Friends as the organization they choose when placing their order.
Volunteer Opportunities include:
• Socializing with our shelter cats, dogs and rabbits
• Special events
• Lobby greeter
• Administrative and data entry support
• Building and grounds maintenance
• Fostering an animal (Click here to learn more about fostering)
• Classroom presentations
• Reading with Rover reading teams
• Pet-Assisted Therapy visits to local hospitals and nursing homes
• Satellite adoption centers and community adoption events
• And much more!
Volunteers with Animal Friends MUST:
• Be at least 13 years of age to volunteer. Any volunteer under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to attend the orientation. Parents and/or guardians must also become volunteers and may need to attend animal handling classes with the underage volunteer. Volunteers must be 16 to socialize cats or rabbits, or 18 to socialize dogs, without a parent or guardian.
o Under 13? Please visit our Education and Kids' Corner page for information on programming and opportunities for younger students.
• Attend an orientation and, if choosing animal-related work, attend appropriate animal handling workshops.
• Be able to read and write in English and take directions from staff, or be accompanied by someone who is. All parents/guardians/support staff must also attend the orientation, become volunteers and complete any applicable animal-handling training.
Perks of being a Volunteer
• Flexible hours
• Hours recognition programs
• Annual appreciation banquet and other celebrations
• Helping animals in need!
The first step in becoming an Animal Friends volunteer is to attend a Getting Started orientation at the shelter. To attend a session, please complete an online volunteer application. Once you submit, you will receive an email with the dates and times of when we have orientations coming up, as well as the phone number to call to hold your spot in one of the sessions. Each person attending the orientation should fill out his or her own application.
If you are interested in completing court-ordered community service at Animal Friends, please click here.
Questions for the Volunteer Department?